Wednesday 30 December 2015

2015 Karakuri Christmas Present #7 - Coin Box

Update 23 October 2017 - Dear Reader, please check out my new puzzle blog and e-store at http://mechanical-puzzles.com

Note: Most puzzlers would have received their Christmas presents by now, however, in order not to reveal any spoilers, there will be no photo(s) of the solved puzzle posted here. Instead there is a password protected link further down the page for you to click on should you wish to see them.




Name
Coin Box. For obvious reasons as you can see from the photo above. Name to be confirmed.

Designer
Fumio Tsuburai

Type & Classification
Trick Opening Puzzle Box

Dimensions
9.5cm x 8.5cm x 6.5cm

Materials & Construction
Looks to be paduak throughout with yosegi finishing on the top surface. More information once the solution/specs are sent to me early 2016. Construction fit and finish is excellent.

Overview
To find the hidden compartment. 5 moves required to open the box. Not only a puzzle but functional as well. You can actually deposit coins into it like a piggy bank.

Solution
WARNING: The link here shows the solved state of the puzzle. Password - tsuburai
There are spoilers. DO NOT click on the link if you do not wish to see it. 


Difficulty Level
This one totally stumped me. Thanks to Stephen Miller (the inventor of the Fire puzzle), who happened to have purchased all 9 presents and who told me what I needed to do to solve the puzzle.

Summary
This is my first puzzle by Tsuburai. The solution and way to solve was certainly not what I expected; hence a bit of a surprise here. For this puzzle, some accompanying instructions I think would have been appropriate. I don't want to put a spoiler here so I will update this part once the solutions to all the presents have been sent to their owners early next year.

For information on Karakuri Christmas Presents generally, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment